Travel on the H-1B

When traveling on the H-1B visa, you will require the following documentation to reenter the U.S.:  Toy Airplane in Blue Light

  1. Valid passport with at least 6 months of validity at the time of admission to the U.S.
  2. Valid H-1B visa stamp in your passport, obtained from a U.S. Consulate abroad.
  3. Original H-1B approval notice (I-797) from UConn.
  4. Current letter from your hiring department verifying continued employment.
    a. Should be less than 6 months old.
    b. Your H-1B petition supporting letter will suffice if less than 6 months old.
    c. Or, obtain an employment verification letter from your department.
  5. Copy of the H-1B petition materials given to you by OGC (LCA, I-129 and supporting letter).
  6. Several recent paystubs as evidence of continued employment with UConn (not necessary for initial employment with UConn).
  7. For H-4 dependents, proof of the relationship to H-1B principle beneficiary (marriage certificate; birth certificate).

Continued validity of H visas after employer change

If you have changed employers since first entering the U.S. in H-1B status and have a valid, unexpired H-1B visa annotated for the previous employer, you may reenter the U.S. using that visa, presenting the valid UConn H-1B approval notice and the UConn H-1B petition materials upon reentry to the U.S.

Travel Abroad Exception with an Expired H-1B visa stamp

An H-1B holder who has current H-1B classification (either initial or extension) may reenter the U.S. with an expired H-1B visa stamp after a trip solely to Canada or Mexico (not to U.S. territories/ the islands in the Caribbean) that lasted no more than 30 days (22 C.F.R. § 41.112(d)).

In such circumstances, you must NOT surrender your current I-94 upon departure from the U.S.

We recommended that you make an advisory appointment with Immigration Services before trying this – current practices may change.