Student Concerns

While the Office of the Attorney General may advise and/or represent the University administration and staff, it is not authorized to give legal advice to its student community.
If you have what you feel is a legal question concerning your employment-related duties, please discuss your concerns with your direct supervisor and have the appropriate Dean, Director or Department Head contact this office if a resolution cannot be found at the administrative level.
Student-employees may receive representation by this office, if they are found to be acting within the scope of their employment and their conduct has been determined not to be wanton reckless or malicious

Residency for tuition purposes is defined and controlled by the Connecticut General Statute 10a-28-30, which governs residency policies at all public institutions of higher education within the State.To qualify under these statutes, an individual must be able to demonstrate a clear intent to reside permanently in the State of Connecticut. There are numerous factors that may be considered in determining whether or not an individual has this appropriate intent. Please refer to the University Admissions’ web page for further information regarding residency matters:

The University of Connecticut Responsibilities of Community Life: The Student Code (Code) is approved by the Board of Trustees and administered by the office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and the Dean of Students.This office works closely with Student Affairs to maintain a consistency of policy implementation across the university community.

Certain qualified Veterans may attend The University of Connecticut and receive tuition waivers for credit-bearing undergraduate and graduate programs. To qualify, veterans generally must be matriculated students who served during designated times of combat. This office works closely with the University to respond to tuition waiver requests and the mediation of the appeal process. Visit the Veterans Benefits website at the University of Connecticut for assistance or call them at 486-2442. Additional information can be found at the website of the Office of Financial & Academic Affairs for Higher Education.