TN Status

TN Nonimmigrant Classification is a professional nonimmigrant status created by the NAFTA North American Free Trade Agreement available to citizens of Canada and Mexico. The sponsored employment must fall under one of the professional positions designated for TN status. Permanent residents of Canada are not able to apply to work as a NAFTA professional. TN status is granted generally in one-year increments at the border or in three-year increments when an extension of status is sought while in the U.S. TN status can be renewed indefinitely so long as the TN professional can continue to show nonimmigrant intent through ties to his or her home country.

Canadians citizens apply for TN status directly at the border into the U.S. or at a Canadian airport before coming to the U.S. Canadian citizens do not require a TN visa stamp to enter the U.S. from Canada, but a visa stamp can be requested to facilitate travel and reentry from other countries. Applicants for TN status must demonstrate a job offer from a U.S. employer.

Mexican citizens apply for TN status at a U.S. consulate and must obtain a TN visa stamp in their passport to enter the U.S. as TN professionals.

UConn hiring departments will provide the TN beneficiary employee with the following documents to support a request for TN classification:

  1. Offer letter for employment with UConn
  2. Supporting letter requesting TN status (drafted with the assistance of OGC)

Beneficiary must also provide:

  1. Valid passport with at least 6 months’ validity at the time of entry into the U.S.
  2. Copy of diploma and transcripts as evidence of attainment of professional degree
  3. Curriculum Vitae
  4. If currently employed by UConn and continuing TN status, copies of recent pay stubs for the past two months
  5. Visa application fee (check U.S. Department of State website for current fees)
  6. For TD dependents, proof of the relationship to TN principle beneficiary (marriage certificate; birth certificate)


Dependent spouse and children of a TN nonimmigrant are granted TD status. Your spouse and children in TD dependent status may take classes either full time or part time, but they cannot work under ANY circumstances.