E-3 Status

E-3 Nonimmigrant Classification is a professional nonimmigrant status available to citizens of Australia coming temporarily to the United States to work in a specialty occupation.

Application for E-3 status is made directly at a U.S. consulate in Australia, but the U.S. employer must first obtain a certified Labor Condition Application from the U.S. Department of Labor as evidence that the employment will meet the prevailing wage for the occupation in the geographical region of employment in the U.S. Applicants for must demonstrate a job offer from a U.S. employer. E-3 status is granted in 2-year increments and may be renewed indefinitely.

UConn hiring departments will provide the E-3 beneficiary employee with the following documents to support a request for E-3 classification at a U.S. consulate abroad:

  1. Offer letter for employment with UConn
  2. Supporting letter requesting E-3 status (drafted with the assistance of OGC)
  3. Labor Condition Application certified by the U.S. Department of Labor (obtained by OGC)

Beneficiary must also provide:

  1. Valid passport with at least 6 months’ validity at the time of entry into the U.S.
  2. Copy of diploma and transcripts as evidence of attainment of professional degree
  3. Curriculum Vitae
  4. If currently employed by UConn and continuing E-3 status, copies of recent pay stubs for the past two months
  5. Visa application fee (check U.S. Department of State website for current fees)
  6. For E-3 dependents, proof of the relationship to E-3 principle beneficiary (marriage certificate; birth certificate)


Dependents of an E-3 employee beneficiary are also granted E-3 nonimmigrant status. E-3 spouses are entitled to work in the U.S. An E-3 dependent spouse must first apply for an Employment Authorization Document by filing a Form I-765 with USCIS upon admission to the U.S. The E-3 dependent spouse may not commence employment in the U.S. until receipt of the Employment Authorization Document.

E-3 dependent spouse and children may study on either a full time or part time basis.

Any changes in the position title, duties, or salary may also require a new E-3 petition. An amendment must be filed before the change in employment occurs.