Effective March 11, 2019: Revised Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will publish a revised Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, and is introducing a new Form I-539A for each co-applicant. The revised and new forms will be required for filings as of March 21, 2019.  An additional per applicant biometrics fee of $85* will apply.

New Form I-539A created for co-applicants. The second major change is the procedure to be followed when there are multiple people filing together, such as a parent (“primary applicant”) and one or more children (“co-applicants”).

Starting March 11, a newly created form, the I-539A must be completed for each individual co-applicant and submitted with the primary applicant’s I-539. Each co-applicant must sign his or her respective I-539A. (Parents can continue to sign the forms for children under 14 years of age.)

*Fee Increase for Biometrics:

Because biometrics will be collected with the application, an additional $85 biometrics fee will be charged per I-539 and I-539A applicant. A typical family consisting of an H-4 spouse and two minor H-4 children will have to pay $625 ($370 filing fee plus three $85 biometrics fees) to extend nonimmigrant status.

Every applicant and co-applicant will receive a biometric services appointment notice, regardless of age, containing their individual receipt number. The biometric services appointments will be scheduled at the Application Support Center (ASC) closest to the primary applicant’s address. Co-applicants who wish to be scheduled at a different ASC location should file a separate Form I-539.

USCIS will reject any Form I-539 that is missing any of the required signatures or biometrics fees, including those required for Form I-539A.

Additional Information:

USCIS Announcement re Revised Form I-539 and New Form I-539A